ARA Co-Signs Letter Supporting Plant Biostimulant Act
Jun 24 2022
ARA joined other ag industry stakeholders in a letter to Congress encouraging them to include the Plant Biostimulant Act in the next farm bill.
ARA supports the Plant Biostimulant Act because it will:
- Establish a uniform national definition for “plant biostimulant”;
- Amend the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) to exclude plant biostimulants from being regulated under the Act;
- Establish a definition for nutritional chemical;
- Amend the definition for a vitamin hormone product;
- Require the U.S. Environmental Agency (EPA) to review and revise existing Code of Federal regulations to include this new plant biostimulant definition;
- Require USDA to study how plant biostimulant products can contribute to soil health.
The utilization of innovative plant nutrition technologies, such as enhanced efficiency fertilizers, plant biostimulants, and other sustainability management practices such as 4R Nutrient Stewardship, can be useful tools.
As Congress begins to consider the next farm bill, the Plant Biostimulant Act is the most logical place for inclusion to enhance carbon sequestration, conserve and replenish soil health, reduce carbon emissions, and improve the nation’s water quality.