ARA MEMBERSHIP OVERVIEW
More than a trade association
No other organization helps the agricultural retailer more than ARA.
ARA is more than a nonprofit trade association. As the political voice of agricultural retailers and distributors, ARA advocates, educates and champions the American agricultural retailer.
ARA’s leadership includes a 44-member board of directors representing retailers, distributors and manufacturers of crop protection chemicals, fertilizer, technology, services and equipment. Our membership is just as diverse, from small family-run businesses and farmer cooperatives to large corporations with multiple branches.
ARA members represent the majority of agribusinesses in the United States, and the landscape of American agriculture is always changing. ARA works to ensure a profitable business environment remains.
Legislative and regulatory issues are at the core of our mission. As a member of ARA, you can concentrate on running your business while ARA serves as your eyes and ears on regulations and legislation. We keep you informed so you can make better business decisions.
So much in agriculture is changing: Technology developments, crop input practices, regulations and more. Our purpose at ARA is to manage regulatory and legislative changes in the best interests of the agricultural retailer, distributor and commercial applicator. Here are just a few of our policy priorities:
- Continued support for the agriculture exemption to the Hours of Service transportation regulations.
- Establishment of reasonable applicator and spray drift restrictions.
- Chemical Security issues and ongoing efforts to extend the Agricultural Chemicals Security Tax Credit initiated by ARA.
- Support for repeal of the Federal Estate Tax as well as a permanent extension of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts that have a positive economic impact on agribusiness.
- Continued communication with EPA to develop science-based, sensible environmental regulations regarding pesticide and fertilizer applications.
- Support for greater transparency and reduced volatility in the futures market.
Membership in ARA strengthens the ag retailer’s voice.
One voice in Washington won’t make enough noise. But all of our voices together cannot be ignored. By joining ARA, you help us better represent your interests while giving your business a competitive advantage.
For more information on ARA member benefits and services or to join the association, contact Donnie Taylor, Vice President of Membership and Corporate Relations, at (202) 457-0825.
How ARA works for you
The power of ARA membership is undeniable. As an ARA member you have political muscle. When ag retailers speak with one loud and clear voice, Congress listens. This is the power of effective grassroots lobbying.
As the political voice of ag retailers, ARA:
- Advocates for its members’ interests on specific bills;
- Works with Congressional staff to craft reasonable legislation that balances security issues along side business interests; and
- Educates federal agencies and congressional members on the important issues affecting the industry.
Examples of recent ARA Actions on Capitol Hill:
- Protecting the Hours of Service Exemption for your drivers during the busiest parts of the growing season.
- Urging Congress to protect the needs of U.S. agriculture as part of any security legislation it considers, and working closely with key members of Congress to create an Agricultural Business Security Grant Program to help you meet any federal security mandates that may be imposed.
- Leading efforts demanding withdrawal of the EPA’s zero-tolerance spray drift proposal.
- Presenting alternatives to stringent and costly spill prevention, control and countermeasure plans requirements for small business retailers.
Your Membership Matters
The number of retailers who belong to ARA directly impacts the level of influence the ag industry has in Washington, DC. Every member makes a difference. More and more ag retailers are recognizing the value of ARA membership. Our membership is growing, and ARA’s message on Capitol Hill is strengthened as our numbers grow.
ARA membership is an investment in the ability of ag retailers nationwide to make their unified voice heard by those who set policy that affects your business on a daily basis. ARA’s efforts on behalf of retailers save you real money by keeping the costs of doing business under control.